Glassdoor: Launch in Germany and ongoing PR activities
adel & link accompanied the launch of the international job and career community Glassdoor in Germany, with Glassdoor.de being the second non-English website operated by the Silicon Valley start-up. All launch comms were based on PR activities only, without any additional marketing spend. Following the successful launch adel & link has been in charge of all ongoing PR activities in Germany.
- Create strong awareness for Glassdoor in consumer, business and trade media outlets and drive further traffic to the site.
- Position Glassdoor as the go-to source for job information and company insights and build awareness for the added value the platform provides for job seekers, employees and employers by using an educational approach.
- Generate constant stream of media coverage though the frequency of regular product updates and corporate news is limited.
- Media tour in tandem with Glassdoor representatives in four German major cities in the days before the launch. Target group were major opinion leading media with a broad reach. The platform was introduced to journalists in personal briefings including product demos.
- The messaging focused on Glassdoor as a transparency driver in the German labour market. Glassdoor’s salary feature was positioned as a unique value proposition in the German market and the typical German bias against talking money and salary was actively challenged.
“adel & link are a true partner to Glassdoor, helping raise our profiles in Germany and the wider DACH region. The initial launch in Germany was incredibly successful, leading to many online and print media hits, which drove a significant amount of traffic to our website. Since then, the team has worked closely with us to represent the Glassdoor brand, raise awareness and generate new members for the site. adel & link regularly generates positive media coverage for us, which is very important because we don’t yet conduct any other marketing activity in the region.”
Joe Wiggins, Glassdoor
Ongoing PR activities:
- On a biweekly basis: localising international content and developing new local stories based on Glassdoor’s platform data. In addition usage of both external and internal research results.
- Building intense and ongoing relationships with a variety of career and HR journalists and bloggers as well as stakeholder relations with HR departments of major German companies.
- Handling German-speaking social media channels.
- Accompanied market launches in Switzerland and Austria.
- At launch, Glassdoor was “topic of the day” with a one-pager in leading national quality daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung. Overall, in the first two weeks after launch 48 articles were published in tier 1 media such as Handelsblatt, Die Zeit or Bild.de. The coverage was characterized by a large penetration of the pre-defined key messages. The scope and positive tonality of the news coverage resulted in a huge increase of traffic and new registrations that outnumbered the clients’ expectations. The news headline “Glassdoor launches with a big media hype” was not written by us, but summarises the launch in Germany very well.
- Over the course of the last two years, adel & link generated more than 60 pieces of coverage on average per month in online, print and broadcast media.
- In the same timeframe, we secured Glassdoor coverage in every single of the top 15 German online news outlets (by reach), in 7 of these on a quarterly basis (among these Bild, Spiegel Online, Focus Online and Sueddeutsche Zeitung).
- Milestone: 1M monthly visitors per month as a result of media relations (no accompanying marketing expenses by Glassdoor).